If you’re reading this, you’re probably in one of these situations – You just moved into a house (congratulations!), and you need to decorate your child’s room, or your child is growing up and wants a different “look,” or maybe you just want to give the room a makeover. No worries we are here to give you tips and ideas for how to choose the right kids room rug!
Keep reading to find out all you need to know!
The average bedroom size in the United States is 200 sq. ft.
Beds (or cribs) become the focal point of any bedroom. This focal point will allow you to define the entire space and help you visualize the area rug, shape, size, and texture.
Visualize the final look you want
What is your child’s personality? Happy, free-spirited, busy? Peaceful, calm, loves to read books? Colors and personality can relate to each other.
If you don’t know your child’s personality yet, maybe go with your personality! Decorate for the space you want to walk into, the room you want to spend a lot of time, and the area you want to introduce your baby to. Remember, you can always redecorate later!
How to visualize physical space for placing an area rug:
- Use the painter’s tape (it’s easily removable and won’t harm surfaces) to mock-up where you’ll put furniture so you can see the area and how you want to place the rug.
- Use a piece of paper to draw the room and write the measurements you took. Trust me, having measurements written down will be helpful when you shop.
Selecting the shape and size of your kids room rug
When selecting the shape of the rug, don’t limit yourself to the traditional round or rectangle rugs. You can step out here – abstract designs, animal prints, and much more. Be bold and have fun!
When selecting the best-sized area rug, there are two primary considerations to think about:
- If you’re going to put the rug over hardwood floors, consider a large area rug, so it provides as much warmth and a functional area as possible. Say, up to medium, an 8′ x 10′ area rug.
When using a larger rug, consider adding a rug pad for extra cushioning and protection for your floors.
- If the bedroom already has a carpet, then the rug you’re looking for becomes more of an accent that lends to the aesthetics you want. In this case, select a smaller area rug, maybe a 5′ x 8′ area rug, and stop just a few inches from any piece of furniture.
What material is best to choose?
Choosing the material is vital to selecting the right rug for you. The material used will determine its durability and softness, so when choosing the best material for a child’s room, you may want to consider the following:
- Functionality and comfort for playing on the floor.
- Stain-resistant or easily cleanable after tea parties, afternoon playdates, having friends over after school, and all the other sorts of activities that will make the rug vulnerable to wear and tear.
- Hypoallergenic, i.e., a rug that doesn’t shed like one of our machine woven rugs.
Here are your best material options for a kids room rug:
- Our top choice, Polyester – Polyester is a solid choice because it’s stain-resistant, does not fade, and it’s perfect for spaces that receive ample sunlight and where spills and messes often occur.
- Cotton – Cotton rugs are hypoallergenic, easy to clean, and are non-synthetic.
- Wool – While durable, wool has a potential for color fading and even shedding. It’s best in high traffic areas such as living rooms and dining rooms.
- Animal Hide – Cowhide, for example, whether real or fake, is soft. Perfect to lay next to a crib or bed for texture and warmth for your feet.
What about the pile height?
There are several different pile heights available on our website. For this purpose of a kids room, we are going to suggest a shag pile for your child’s room. Why? Here are a few reasons:
- Shag rugs are non-shedding
- They come in a variety of materials (polyester, polypropylene, and wool)
- We offer a ton of different designs, even solid if you prefer something more neutral
- They add variety in texture to help add character to the room
- They are soft to touch, so they are lovely to walk on, sit on, and extra cozy when the weather gets cooler
A final word about kids room rugs
When selecting a rug for your child’s room, be sure to consider the size, the material, and pile height that best suits your needs. Fortunately, on our site there are many area rugs to choose from. Ready to start looking? Call our Customer Service toll-free line (24/7, 365) to speak with professional sales representatives who can assist you in making this decision easier for you.
We want to see what you come up with, so don’t forget to tag us on Instagram @rugsdotcom with your favorite kids room rug pictures.
*NOTE – Safety is of most importance. Be sure to have an anti-slip pad under your rug to prevent it from moving and sliding.